Thread: Dream Theater LOGO (Noob Question I'm sure)

Default Dream Theater LOGO (Noob Question I'm sure)

All right, I've loved DT's music for quite awhile, but still have never read exactly how they came up with their sweet logo or what it stands for. Can anyone help fill me in on this one or give me a link that describes/explains it?

Thanks
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Talentlessjoe
    You like your dots don't you Pretty.
    suhr carved top - cornford roadhouse

I must be missing something (yeah, noob, I know), but this is all it said under the Log Section:

Despite the band being forced to change their name, Dream Theater adopted a custom logo (known as the Majesty symbol) and wordmark which has appeared on the vast majority of their promotional material and on the front cover of every Dream Theater studio album. The Majesty symbol is derived from Mary Queen of Scots' mark,[30][31] which was re-worked by Charlie Dominici for use on the album artwork for When Dream and Day Unite.[32] It consists of a capital Phi, a capital Mu, and a capital Lambda

Other than telling me what letters that the logo is using I didn't notice much in the way of telling us it's significance or meaning to the band.
    David

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by acoustictones
    I must be missing something (yeah, noob, I know), but this is all it said under the Log Section:

Despite the band being forced to change their name, Dream Theater adopted a custom logo (known as the Majesty symbol) and wordmark which has appeared on the vast majority of their promotional material and on the front cover of every Dream Theater studio album. The Majesty symbol is derived from Mary Queen of Scots' mark,[30][31] which was re-worked by Charlie Dominici for use on the album artwork for When Dream and Day Unite.[32] It consists of a capital Phi, a capital Mu, and a capital Lambda

Other than telling me what letters that the logo is using I didn't notice much in the way of telling us it's significance or meaning to the band.
    Probably it doesn´t!

tut tut, you are such a noob...

jk I have no clue either, they probably just like the way it looks

Do you mean you want to know how they came up with Dream Theater? Mike's father took his son to a lot of movies at a now demolished movie theater of the same name. In fact, it was his dad that suggested it.

Quote Originally Posted by Organs
    Do you mean you want to know how they came up with Dream Theater?
    No, just assumed that there would be more of a story or meaning behind their logo, but I didn't seem to see much written about it.
    David

Talking

i'm a noob and i saw my first Dream Theater concert last night!

but about the logo... i just think it looks cool. you could brand cattle with it

put BB in your sig. to help her achieve world domination

Dream Theater's original band name was "Majesty", and it related to the majesty of their influences (Rush, in particular) - the logo must've made that connection between majestic bands and royalty. Or w/e.
    Rhys Andrews
    My Soundcloud

James LaBrie saw me picking my nose.
    He has also sniffed my thong on stage.
    So yeah, we're pretty much dating now.